Thursday, May 10, 2007

Introduction to the Sassy Tech

I am currently a pre-pharmacy student. I am in my second year of college, and I have worked in a pharmacy for about three years. There are some days where I love my job, but more often than not, there are days where I wonder why the hell I am getting myself into this profession.

Today my issue is with my co-workers. One of our lovely cashiers walks into work wearing (get this - youll love it) a hooded sweatshirt. A hooded freaking sweatshirt! Unbeknownst to me, a hooded sweatshirt is acceptable in a health care setting if one just puts a pharmacy smock on over said sweatshirt. By the way, the hooded sweatshirt is a step up from the camouflage pants she wore last week. But this is a young, beautiful, blonde, blue-eyed cashier, so no one will comment on her attire.

Now, if my doctor walks in the office wearing a hoodie, I may just question his credentials. Dont get me wrong, Im not saying that the cashiers need credentials to count change and fill out pseudo ephedrine sheets, but jeez, folks, can we at least attempt to look professional?!

Ok. So Im on the phone with an incompetent insurance representative who can barely speak English. I am insisting that I am processing a claim for Jane Doe age 32, but she says it is or Bob Smith age 93. So I start speaking very s l o w l y and then she says, "Oh. I didnt understand your accent." She didnt understand my accent. Well excuse me. I start using my "SassyTech-is-not-happy" voice. And now I see a hand holding an insurance card frantically waving in my face. It is our lovely hooded sweatshirt cashier demanding that I backbill 12 prescriptions. SassyTech thinks, "Do you see this thing attached to my head? Do you see me speaking into said attachment? When I am done yelling at this dumb-as-bricks woman, I will deal with your shit." But of course I dont say this because I am too damn sweet.

I am the only tech on duty, the drop-off line is 5 deep with our Vicodin Frequent Flier Fan Club, 4 of the 5 phone lines are ringing, the 249 yr old woman is bitching because her 11 refills arent finished in 9.25 minutes, and the pharmacist is giving me 3 redos, and you want me to backbill how many prescriptions? I dont think so. Take a number and get in line Barbie.

No comments: